Civil War Era 1865 Cathedral or Gothic pickle bottle 8 1/2″ – 3 available $150.00 each

$150.00

8 1/2″ priced at $300.00
11 1/4″ priced at $350.00
13 3/4″ priced at $500.00
 
 
The Victorian Gothic design became popular on preserve ware starting in the 1840s continuing through the 1880s, though in the later years it seems the designs were less ornate.
 
The Victorian Gothic influence is known in glass houses in Stoddard, New Hampshire; Westford and Willington in Connecticut and others in the South Jersey – Philadelphia areas. Some pickle containers have initials embossed on the base.
 
Some collectors refer to these pickle bottles as “floral pickle jars” The diamond lattice, floral patterns, tulip crowns, stars and crosses are all common designs.
 
Smaller emerald green floral bottles often held spices or honey along with pickles.
 
This 11in antique pickle jar was manufactured by JN Bodine in 1865 which was incorporated as The Cohansey Glass Works in 1879. This antique pickle jar was sold to a company called Stout Dwyer and Wicks that had been established in the early 1860s as a canning house at the corner of Bank Street and Irving Avenue in Bridgeton, New Jersey. In the spring of 1865 John W. Stout gained full control of the company.
This particular Cathedral bottle was filled with pickles and shipped by wagon to the docks in Bridgeton where it was loaded aboard the ship Baltic and placed in a shipment to Galveston Texas to help feed the vast number of Civil war soldiers stationed there awaiting their discharge from the military at the end of the Civil war between the North and south.
 

The use of this antique pickle jar by Stout Dwyer and Wicks was not common knowledge until the recovery of this pickle bottle from a marked crate found aboard the shipwreck of the Baltic which had been lost in the Great Bahamian hurricane of 1866. Bottles with this design and this history are extremely rare.                                                                                 

Bottles from this era contained not only pickles, but were used to preserve and market other food products, namely cherries, honey, mincemeat, lobsters spiced, mixed vegetables, Peppers and plum tomatoes.  Some of the bottles recovered from the “Baltic” contained capers, still sealed with cork inserts. Products from France, such as capers, brandied cherries and olive oil were frequent imports in the 1800s.
Contact us @historiccj@aol.com
Category:

Description

8 1/2″ priced at $300.00
11 1/4″ priced at $350.00
13 3/4″ priced at $500.00
 . Contact us @ historiccj@aol.com for availability of sizes. 
 
The Victorian Gothic design became popular on preserve ware starting in the 1840s continuing through the 1880s, though in the later years it seems the designs were less ornate.
 
The Victorian Gothic influence is known in glass houses in Stoddard, New Hampshire; Westford and Willington in Connecticut and others in the South Jersey – Philadelphia areas. Some pickle containers have initials embossed on the base.
 
Some collectors refer to these pickle bottles as “floral pickle jars” The diamond lattice, floral patterns, tulip crowns, stars and crosses are all common designs.
 
Smaller emerald green floral bottles often held spices or honey along with pickles.
 
This 11in antique pickle jar was manufactured by JN Bodine in 1865 which was incorporated as The Cohansey Glass Works in 1879. This antique pickle jar was sold to a company called Stout Dwyer and Wicks that had been established in the early 1860s as a canning house at the corner of Bank Street and Irving Avenue in Bridgeton, New Jersey. In the spring of 1865 John W. Stout gained full control of the company.
This particular Cathedral bottle was filled with pickles and shipped by wagon to the docks in Bridgeton where it was loaded aboard the ship Baltic and placed in a shipment to Galveston Texas to help feed the vast number of Civil war soldiers stationed there awaiting their discharge from the military at the end of the Civil war between the North and south.
 

The use of this antique pickle jar by Stout Dwyer and Wicks was not common knowledge until the recovery of this pickle bottle from a marked crate found aboard the shipwreck of the Baltic which had been lost in the Great Bahamian hurricane of 1866. Bottles with this design and this history are extremely rare.                                                                                 

Bottles from this era contained not only pickles, but were used to preserve and market other food products, namely cherries, honey, mincemeat, lobsters spiced, mixed vegetables, Peppers and plum tomatoes.  Some of the bottles recovered from the “Baltic” contained capers, still sealed with cork inserts. Products from France, such as capers, brandied cherries and olive oil were frequent imports in the 1800s.
 
Cathedral Pickle Bottles
Cathedral or Gothic pickle jars. The Victorian Gothic design became popular on preserve ware starting in the 1840’s continuing through the 1880’s though in the later years it seems the designs were less ornate.
The Victorian Gothic influence is known in glasshouses in Stoddard, New Hampshire; Westford and Willington in Connecticut and others in the South Jersey – Philadelphia areas. Some pickle containers have initials embossed on the base.
Some collectors refer to these pickle bottles as “floral pickle jars”. The diamond lattice, floral patterns, tulip crowns, stars and crosses are all common designs.
Smaller emerald green floral bottles often held spices or honey along with pickles.
One of the wooden crates recovered intact indicates the bottler of some of the bottles as “Stout Dyer & Wicks Pickles, 91 Barclay Street, New York” Another crate indicated “Chow Chow – Kemp Day & Co, Wall Street, New York”. And another as Gloucester, Mass, Mackerel 1866, W. Sayward” But the manufacturer of the actual containers was Cohansey Glass Works of Bridgeton New Jersey.
It is believed the partnership of Stout Dyer and Wicks was established in the late 1850’s – early 1860’s. They operated a canning house at the corner of Bank Street and Irving Avenue in Bridgeton, New Jersey until the spring of 1865 when John W. Stout gained full control of the company. The use of cathedral bottles by Stout Dyer and Wicks was not common knowledge until the recovery of these items from the “Baltic shipwreck”.
 
Contact us @ historiccj@aol.com

Please contact us at historiccj@aol.com for questions or comments. If using info or sales @hisoricsitesandshipwrecks.com please ensure you provide a return email address so we can respond to your questions or comments. Thank you Dismiss