Artifacts from the 1866 Shipwreck “Baltic”
Search by Site:
Search by manufacturer:
Search by artifacts:
After extensive research, our Appraiser feels that these Stone Ware Jugs were manufactured by William Young & Co. (1853-1879) of Trenton, New Jersey due to their closer proximity to Bridgeton, New Jersey, via the Delaware River. It seems he got his start making utilitarian stone ware and most of the other companies in the area made other types of wares. What the original jug contained is not known, but could have contained any liquid, from whiskey to vinegar. Stone ware vessels were shaped by hand on the potter’s wheel, or in a wooden mould. After the freshly shaped vessel had air dried, sometimes Albany slip clay, which was dark brown in color, was used to coat the interior. The pieces were then placed in a bee-hive shaped kiln and fired at about 2100 degrees Fahrenheit. When the heat was at its maximum, a bucket of course salt was thrown into the kiln. The salt vaporized, covering all exposed surfaces with a shiny and somewhat pitted, or pebbled finish referred to as "salt glaze".
These jugs are all marked with an impressed number of 1,2 or 3 for the amount of gallons the jug would hold. We presume the jugs were then transported over to Stout,Dyer & Wicks in Bridgeton N.J. and filled with whatever liquids were required.